The services that cargo shipping companies provide seem straightforward. Typically, this includes finding a company that can ship your freight, entering into a formal agreement, and then, on the agreed upon date, having your goods delivered to the correct address, on time, and in pristine condition. The fact is that there is much more to know.
With the below information, you will discover several things that you never knew about international shipping companies. Even if you have used shipping services in the past, you may be surprised.
- Shipping Mode – International shipping companies rely on various modes of transportation. Included are air, rail, ground, and ocean. Of those, roughly 90 percent of everything that consumers buy arrives by ship. Also, among the different options for mass transport, shipping is the greenest. In comparison to the energy required to transport goods by plane and ground transportation, ocean shipping causes less damage to the environment.
- Pirates Exist – Similar to those seen in the movie “The Pirates of the Caribbean,” real-life pirates are criminals who hop onboard ships to steal. Not only does this result in the loss of freight, but it is also incredibly dangerous for members of the pirated ship. For that reason, reputable shipping companies use their experience and expertise to chart the safest course while abiding by all international laws.
- Industry News – For a shipping company to continually provide stellar services, it stays up to date on industry news. As a volatile industry, it is essential for commercial shipping companies to know what is going on around the world, specific to their area of expertise. For example, they focus on trends for contract negotiations, congested versus non-congested ports, current weather conditions, and more.
- Shipping Containers – To keep costs down, China manufacturers approximately 97 percent of all shipping containers. Well-made products will last for about 30 years, or sometimes longer. Also, at any given time, some 20 million containers are making their way across the oceans.
- Ports of Call – One-third of all North Atlantic trade gets processed through ports in New Jersey and New York.
At MGA International, we provide excellent shipping services for virtually all industries. If you need to get your freight delivered, our professional team can help. For information about our company and the full line of services that we offer, visit us online or call today.